Tuesday 3 March 2020


Running is perfect for exploring. It's slow enough that you have time to take in the surroundings (especially if it's an ultra you're doing), yet it's fast enough to progress through multiple environments within a single outing, and hence to see lots of different stuff over the course of a few hours, or half a day,.. or so.

So what better way to explore Costa Rica than a six-day stage race down the west coast. Voilà the reasoning behind a February trip to Central America; a race entry to The Coastal Challenge, combined with a family holiday in a wonderful part of the world that we'd not explored before!

Stage 1:
I was told to watch out, "it would be hot". And these were indeed wise words of wisdom! But honestly, who listens to wise words of wisdom, eh? Feeling confident, I went out at "morning run" pace; 3:50/km should be ok, it's flat. We quickly found ourselves together in a group with Mauricio Méndez (Xterra world champ) and César Lizano (Costa Rican Olympic marathon runner, competing in the short distance event at TCC). Perfect. Perfect until,.. BAM!! heat explosion!

10km or so later,... first Mauricio slowed and backed off, in a (sensibly) controlled manner, then a little later, I heat-bonked in a (not so sensibly) uncontrolled manner. The first stage rapidly switched from race-mode to survival-mode!

After the long fire-roads, the jungle section and the river crossings at the end of the stage were more than welcome!

Stage 2:
Today was a chase. 2km into the stage we (leading group of 5) missed a turn. The Costa Rican chap (Eric) a couple of meters behind us didn't miss it, and he subsequently held on throughout the day to most of the 10-minutes he gained at this early junction. Until the last 10km of beach running, where Cody and I reeled a few minutes back. This was to set the pecking order for the majority of the race.

Over the next few days Cody and I would share most of the days' trail-time.

Which included stretches of beach running.

And a few communal baths.

Not forgetting to wash your face.

Is this a run or a walk?

Look up!

We'd run together before with Cody, but on totally different terrain - in Sky races across Norway and Italy!

Stage 3:
Today had an excellent first hour or so. No farting around on footpaths, we ran straight up the riverbed. Nice!

Finishing with a waterfall crossing: Power shower!

This was followed by some less-wet and some less-cool sections on hard, earthy trail. Little respite from the scortchio sun on these sections.

Mauricio was unfortunately having problems with a tendon in his foot, and he subsequently dropped out.

Meanwhile I look the opportunity to wash my hair.

And my face.

There was some more beach running at the end. Again, sharing this section with Cody made it a little easier.

Stage 4:
Quite a lot of fire road today. A big climb, some rolling stuff and then a nice downhill through lush jungle at the end.

Eric refused to walk, pretty much irrespective of the steepness of the trail!

Meanwhile Cody was bulking up his biceps with a kilo of fluid in the palm of each hand. Don't arm-wrestle him next week!

Putting that hand-on-knees fell running technique to good use!

I was feeling pretty good again today. Much much better today than I had done on day 1, with that ridiculous, self-inflicted, early heat explosion. However my ever-dodgy right quadriceps were not having much of a ball at all. Heavy and unresponsive. Which made the more techy stuff on the final downhill tricky. It was globally a very bad week for my right leg, which unfortunately turned out to be the critical factor limiting speed, along with the climatic conditions.

The monkeys were making a right racket on that final decent!

Stage 5:
Today was another long one! And it was to be my off-day. Wiped out and suffering from a dodgy tummy from the start (over-indulging on the delicious pineapple on offer?!), I had to battle alone all day today, whilst Cody made his move on Eric and got the big lead he'd been working up for over the last few days.

To get to the start we all jumped on a barge. Powered by a speed boat, attached with some string and propelled by one very small motor. This barge also transports cars, buses,...

Hold that head together!

Returning from the sea, after the estuary crossing, by rowing boat.

The parrots were good company, as we rounded the final headland into Drakes Bay.

Stage 6:
The last day was nice. A very enjoyable (and short!) loop, with some nice jungle, rivers and beach running (but not too much beach running!).

The podium was made. Cody had a comfortable lead, Eric was a safe second and I was in third. The order wasn't likely to change, so today was to be fully enjoyed!

Is this how you do it, Otter?

We spent longer than usual cooling in the streams we found en-route today and finally we finished together with Eric and Cody, on the beach back in Drakes Bay.

Photo credit : Ian Corless

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.